Fiction Archive

Russia’s Downfall

Lachlan Gillett (Year 6)


It was created on 1914, July 28, in a Russian lab 2km away from the peaceful coastal town of Vladivostok. It was an experiment gone horribly wrong. The war had been vicious, savage and without mercy. The Russians were so cruel that they locked five prisoners in small chambers with only a tiny bed and they filtered a toxic gas through the vents, enough not to kill them, but to affect them greatly. They were told that if they stayed awake for thirty days they would be freed. It was all going to plan for the first three days until they all began screaming shrilly. There was only a small circular viewing hole that could be used to observe the ‘patient’. The test subjects used their faeces and paper to block their windows.   

Then, on the sixth day, all went silent. Not even the strongest and bravest soldier entered the terrifying chamber, but the general ordered that they must, or they would be executed publicly. Finally, after the threat, two men entered with their sleek black Mausers hanging over their shoulder on their grey and white camouflaged uniform. They crept into the icy chamber only to find four of the five prisoners in each blood-stained corner. The room smelt of rot and decay, if not death itself. There was a low mumbling sound coming from each of the patients. They looked in the gas-filled chamber and found the remains of one of the prisoners jammed into the drain. All the prisoner’s hands were bloody and had deep cuts and bruises on their skin, like a disease.  

The guards almost threw up at the gruesome sight and they rushed out as swiftly as a hare being shot at. They ran out of the room screaming at the top of their lungs like small children. For the following days the soldiers experienced incurable pain from the spots and holes opening in their skin. Their pain could not be satisfied with antibiotics or pain relievers, it was excruciating. Two days later they died from the unknown and ghastly disease. They were burned then buried 50 metres underground, so they didn’t spread it. Not even their families were told of their deaths, all records of the two men had been erased from the system.  

The government made the decision to not tell the public or it would cause an uproar of riots and protests throughout the whole country. They didn’t need any disruptions, especially at this moment. They decided to keep on going with the experiment to see the ‘long term’ results of the gas. After the death of the soldiers the general decided to be a bit more careful and issue out hazmat suits to all personnel who entered the area. They also made an order to build a sort of air-lock to stop the chance of it spreading out of the base and into the town which would be utterly catastrophic.  

The plan to suppress the disease didn’t work due to the gases of the burning bodies spreading into town. For days the char black smoke lingered in the sky. Later cases of an unknown disease were reported across the news until one day, all communication from the town that the outbreak came from went silent. No phone calls, radio signals or planes came from the mountainous region of Pylos, nothing at all. Many people knew about this strange occurrence, but none knew of the horrors unfolding in the small and once peaceful town. Pylos was considered “off the grid, due to a storm” by many news stations across the globe. Weeks had passed and still no communication at all came from Pylos, now everybody was starting to wonder what was happening. It was now definitely not a large storm, something else was going on, something big.  

The sound of all terrain jeeps filled the icy air, drowning out the sound of the swirling winds. Today was April 30, 1914, and a convoy of over 15 trucks and jeeps were trundling up a snowy track, snaking its way through the large range of the Ural Mountains. The Russian winter was in full swing and all life was blanketed in the crunching white snow.  

The Russian Military had been commanded to set up a perimeter around the town and shoot any signs of life. Men had been sent into the town on patrol as exterminators to rid the town of life. This process seemed to be working for a while until one day one of the soldiers had been attacked and bitten by a rabid, mangey dog. Two shots rang out into the foggy air, alerting the rest of the patrol. As the rest of the team arrived, to their surprise and horror, their friend lay writhing and squirming on the cold frost covered earth, holes slowly opening in his skin. Another shot was heard, followed by the crunching of boots and the sound of cars rumbling and fading into the howling winds flowing through the mountain ranges.  

Two days after the encounter, there was a deafening sound erupting from the large speakers in Pylos, a rhythmic humming sound. The humming grew louder until it could be heard from over 3km away, in the town of Vladivostok, the citizens unaware of the horror that was about to unfold over the other side of the snow topped mountains. The faint hum slowly died down until all was quiet except for the screech of fighter planes droning into the baby blue sky. Suddenly a click followed by a sound like rushing waves until a sudden jolt echoed through the air, making the ground shudder. A sudden blast of flames leapt into the frostbitten air making the mountains fall and cave-in on Pylos, covering it in a blanket of rubble.   

Everything had seemed to go to plan and everybody thought it was an earthquake. Little did they know it was a cover up to get rid of the evidence of the cruel and horrifying events that took place in Pylos. Nobody thought it to be anything out of the ordinary, nobody would know.  

A steady and long trail of scarlet red liquid led past Pylos, snaking towards the bustling town of Vladivostok.  


%d bloggers like this: